Thursday 30 April 2020

Putting The Two Together

Our memories fail therefore, and our memories change over time. Sometimes a more ‘exact' reference brings all the details flooding back. Sound has the immersive / emotional quality of bringing us ‘back' to a place or experience. In terms of recording the built environment, spaces change, and cultures change; yet the spaces themselves always offer potential for sound that can only be limited by either technology or the imagination.

Today I went to OVADA in Oxford, to recce the place for a piece. It seemed deathly quiet, uninteresting. I stood still and eventually after waiting long enough I began to hear the sound of an electric socket timer not too far away. With the Roland R-05 handheld recorder I had brought with me, I placed it upside down right next to the timer. I set recording levels to high, and began to record.
You can hear the recording here. I will be making several visits to this place over the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment